Calls for Applications (Grants, Fellowships, scholarships and awards)
- The Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF)/The European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) make a joint call on Preparatory Fellowships. Deadline is the 1. February 2019.
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) through DAAD calls highly qualified university graduates in all scientific fields; and graduates should have completed their final degree examination no longer than six years previously to apply for DAAD research grants. No deadline.
- The Royal Academy of Engineering through invites the applications for UK-South Africa Industry-Academia Partnership Programme to build international links between industry and universities. Deadline 12. December 2018
- Calls for PhD funding for international researchers from the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung. No deadline.
- Call for Applications: Germany (DFG)/South Africa (NRF) on Partnership on International Research Training Group (IRTGs). Deadline is the 31. December 2018.
- The UK Department for International Development (DFID), the UK Medical Research Council (MRC), the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and Wellcome make a joint call for global health trials. Deadline is the 5. February 2018
- The Collaboration for Evidence-Based Healthcare and Public Health in Africa (CEBHA+), calls for applications of doctoral scholarship in the area of Non-communicable diseases, with the aim to build long-term capacity and infrastructure for evidence-based healthcare and public health in Sub-Sahara Africa”. Deadline is 26. November 2018.
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) invites interested grantees to submit proposals for the Sustainable Manufacturing and Environmental Pollution (SMEP) Programme. Deadline is 30. December 2018
- The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Next Einstein Forum (NEF) Initiative invites applications for the NEF fellows. Deadline is 15. January 2019.
- The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) calls for proposals of the German-African Innovation Incentive Award 2018. Deadline is 15. January 2019.
- The Society of Social Studies of Science’s (4S) annual meeting 2019 will be in New Orleans, USA. Call for papers, closed panels and others opens 15. December 2018.
- The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency partners with IDRC to „deepen and sustain the work of the Science Granting Councils Initiative (SGCI). The SGCI aims to build capacity of 15 science granting councils in sub-Sahara Africa; as well as provide funding to the participating councils for administering research calls.
- A new book on a comprehensive study on “the next generation of scientists of scientists in Africa”, providing thorough insights into the funding landscapes, the career perspectives, publication opportunities, and other important issues for the young generations of scientists.
- A new book on Research Universities in Africa “provides the best analysis to-date on the state of higher education in Africa, and discusses key policies to steer their positive transformation.”
- Strengthening the EU partnership with Africa initiative leads to a new training alliance between EU and Africa through the Erasmus plus programme. More than 100,000 African students and academics will benefit from this new Africa-European deal
- van der Merwe reviews the bibliometric study that was conducted on African science. The study shows that African researchers tend to produce high impact research when they receive international funding.